Seviyan is a sweet dish that is made from vermicelli, it is a very is very popular dessert in
vermicelli was made at home, but now a variety of vermicelli is easily
available in markets all over the world. This is the easiest recipe of seviyan,
the method is pretty much the same as “Sooj Ka Halwa”..
200 gm seviyan/vermicelli (use slightly thicker vermicelli)
1 cup sugar (or add more if needed)
2 cups water
3 tbsp ghee or butter
6 cardamom pods
A few drops of kewra
1/4 cup almonds (skinless & slivered)
1/4 cup raisin (washed)
1/4 cup coconut (sliced)
A few slivered almonds and pistachios for garnishing
1) Prepare the sugar syrup by taking 2 cups of water in a sauce pan & adding 1 cup sugar boil till sugar dissolves in the water.
2) Heat a wide pan on medium heat and add ghee, cardamom pods and allow the aroma to infuse the oil for about 2 minutes.
3) Add in the vermicelli, stir well and fry for about 5 minutes.
4) Next add in the water and sugar syrup and keep stirring (turn the heat to low while adding sugar syrup or you can also take the pan off the stove while adding water), next add in the almonds, raisins, sliced coconut, a few drops of kewra water and mix well, lower the flame cover the pan and let it cook until all the water dries up for 10-15 minutes.
5) Once the water has dried and the saviyan are done, give it a good stir and turn off the heat, put it in a serving dish, garnish with pistachios and almonds before serving.