A traditional festive breakfast served on the morning of Eid day in the family before the Eid prayer as breakfast, and throughout the day to all the visiting guests. Sheer khurma is a vermicelli pudding where the word sheer stands for milk and khurma means dried dates. Well to be on the honest side I like to call it doodh seviyan, that’s how we know it in our family.
Eid always brings so many childhood memories with it, the excitement of putting henna on hands on chand raat, the happiness of wearing the best and new clothes, new shoes and bangles on eid, and the best part was getting eidee from abu (my father) and all the other elder relatives of family. I remember how mom used to wake up early in the morning and started with the kitchen chores after offering Fajar. She always prepared doodh seviyan early in the morning which was served to my father and bothers before leaving for eid paryer…. So many beautiful memories to cherish!!! If you are also interested in making doodh seviyan here’s what you do.
1 & ½ liter milk
100 gm roasted vermicelli
4-5 dried dates (optional)
½ cup sugar (or more if you like)
¼ tsp salt (optional)
3-4 green cardamoms
7-8 almonds (blanched and slivered)
10-12 pistachios (coarsely chopped)
2 tbsp dried coconut slices (cut in ½ inch slices)
10-15 golden raisins
2 tbsp ghee
1) Soak the dried dates in warm water for 20 minutes, pit the dates and cut them length wise. (it is important to mention here that I normally don’t use dates when I make doodh seviyan)
2) This step is also optional, as a lot of people like to fry the vermicelli first, how ever I normally don’t as the vermicelli we use for doodh seviyan is already roasted. For those of you who want to fry it, heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan and fry vermicelli for 4-5 minutes. Take out the vermicelli and keep aside.
3) In the same pan add milk along with 3-4 green cardamoms. Let it come to a boil then simmer on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes
4) Now add in the sugar along with the vermicelli, sliced dates, coconut, salt and let it cook for 10 minutes or until the mixtures reaches a slightly thick consistency. It should be of pouring consistency. Remember to stir every now and then. Adjust the sugar.
5) Add in 2-3 drops of kewra essence, add in the pistachios, raisins, almond, mix it nicely and turn of the flame, and let it rest for 20 minutes at least. It can be served warm or cold.