My dad served as a government employee in national agriculture research council of Pakistan, it also had an officers colony built inside the boundary of research council, that’s where I have spent almost all my childhood , we lived there till my dad got retired from his job and we moved to our new home, This particular recipe was given to us by one of my dad’s colleagues daughter (they also lived in the same colony, a few houses away from us), it was an instant hit in our family, I remember me and my sister use to make dozens of these spring rolls along with the qeema rolls for my brothers to munch at odd hour hanger pangs. I hope you will enjoy these spring rolls as much as we do.
1 medium onion (chopped finely)
1 tsp garlic paste
2-3 medium potatoes (boiled and cubes in to small pieces
3-4 cups shredded cabbage
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp chicken powder
3-4 tbsp oil
1) Take a large pan or wok and heat the oil, then add in the shredded cabbage and stir fry on high heat for 2-3 minutes, add in the potatoes and mix the both, sprinkle chicken powder, salt and pepper, mix everything together and turn of the flame, take the pan off the heat and let it cool down completely.
2) In a small bowl mix together 1-2 tbsp of cornstarch with ¼ cup of water to make a slurry, Open the roll wrapper package, cover with barely damp towel to prevent drying out. Take one wrapper at a time, add in 1 tbsp of filling, rolls them up as shown in diagram and secure with the slurry
3) Once ready you can fry them straight away, heat oil in a wok, once the oil is hot enough add in the spring rolls, remember not to over crowd the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally, once they turn golden brown take them out on a kitchen paper, serve them with ketchup.
4) If you want to freeze spring rolls, freeze them just like this. If you don’t have a freezer this big, then line up the spring rolls on a plate, with plastic wrap between each layer and freeze. Once frozen, gather up all the spring rolls and put them in a freezer safe plastic bag. They have to freeze in a single layer, not touching. Otherwise, they’ll all stick together. Once they are frozen, you can store them however you want.
* In case you also want to add chicken in it, then use about 250 gms of minced chicken, In a large bowl, add in 1 tbsp soy sauce, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Add in the chicken and mix well. Let marinate for 10 minutes , Heat a wok or large s pan over high heat once hot add in 2 tablespoon of the cooking oil. Stir fry the ground chicken until browned. Remove browned ground chicken from wok to a bowl and set aside, add it to veggies once you take them off the stove.
* The best ways to defrost spring roll wrappers is to either leave them overnight in the refrigerator pr leave them on the counter for 30 minutes. Once the wrappers are defrosted, open the package and immediately cover with a barely damp towel or paper towel to keep moist. The wrappers will dry out and crack quickly if left uncovered.