Apple pies are one of my absolute favorite, no matter if they are McDonald’s fried apple pies or homemade apple pies. These sweet, crunchy and buttery hand pies are wonderful to make and share with friends and family...
Ingredients for pastry:
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter chilled and diced
1/2 cup water
1) Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
2) Now start adding in water, a tablespoon at a time until mixture forms a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour or overnight preferably.
2 large green apples
2 tbsp butter
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup white sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1&1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp water or more if needed
1) Peel and dice the apples, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, let it brown to a light golden color (about a minute).
2) Add in the apples, add in the white sugar, brown sugar and salt, cook and stir apple mixtures until apples are soften, mix in the water and cinnamon powder, continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes until apples are soft and sticky. Turn off the flame and let it cool down completely. (if you like you can slightly mash the mixture to get thick apple sauce.
To make pies:
1) Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface; roll the dough out to ½ inch thick and cut rounds with a large cookie cutter (4 inches in diameter).
2) In each round add about a tablespoon of the filling, moisten edges with cold water, fold in half and press edge with a fork to seal. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. You can use a pie cutter if you have one, that’s what I used as it makes it much easier to shape and close the pie.
3) Now you have two choices you can either fry the patties of bake them in oven, I have tried both and both ways the pies taste awesome. If you want to fry the pies heat oil in a deep fryer and fry the pies a few at a time, 2-3 minutes on each side or until the crust gets golden brown.
4) To bake the pies you have to follow 2-3 extra steps, first preheat the oven to 200 degree C and mean while prepare the pies. Take an egg and whisk it nicely then brush the top of each pie with egg and sprinkle ¼ tsp sugar on each pie, cut 3 small vent holes on top of each pie. Bake until pies are golden brown and filling is bubbling, 30 minutes, let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.