This recipe was given to my mom by her friend, ami had a diary where she would right down all the special recipes she learned from friends and relatives, being a daughter I have been lucky enough to get hold of her diary. As a young girl I always adored cold cake aka fridge cake. Chocolate fridge Cake is usually made with melted chocolate and butter but this recipe uses cocoa powder and cream instead. Ami always used clotted cream (malai) but you can use any thick cream available around your area. Its super easy to make and definitely a crowd pleaser.
2 cups cream
2 large packets of Marie biscuit (use any tea biscuits available)
2 eggs (whisked)
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 cups of walnuts (you can choose any nuts you like)
1 & 1/2 cup sugar
1) Crush the biscuits and walnuts in to random pieces and keep aside.
2) Add cream in a pan and put on low-medium flame, when it’s almost near simmering point (when you can see little bubbles forming) add in the sugar and cocoa powder, and keep stirring.
3) Next add in the whisked eggs a little at a time and keep stirring for 5 minutes
After 5 minutes take the pan off the stove, let the mixture cool down slightly then add in the nuts and biscuits and mix well.
4) Take a square shaped tin or container and line the container with cling film, leaving plenty of extra cling film at the edges to fold over the top. Now spoon the mixture into the container, cover it with cling film, press it down slightly and put it in the freezer for 6-8 hours.
5) Once ready, take it out of the freezer, turn it out, peel of the cling film and cut into chunky slices. You can also dust it with cocoa powder just to give a fancy look.
* put the pieces in to an air tight container and store in freezer.